Monday 26 October 2015

I miss Don Jazzy- Wande Coal


Oluwatobi Wande Ojosipe a.k.a Wande Coal is one youngster who was instrumental in encouraging the likes of Davido and Wizkid to pursue their passion for music.


 The social media went agog earlier this month when he announced the release of his sophomore album. Fondly called Black diamond, the former Mohits/Mavin artiste opens up on why it took him six years to release another album, why he avoided the media, missing Don Jazzy and the joy of fatherhood.

It took you six years to release another album; What happened?
I was with Mohits and the company dissolved in 2011, then, I was left alone to choose where to go. Either to go with Dbanj or Don Jazzy. I just moved with Don  Jazzy  because we  had bonded, It’s not that I didn’t like Dbanj but I just had to move with Don Jazzy because he is a producer and I am a singer. I moved with Don Jazzy without no contract . It was based on love and I had no contract. At some point I wanted to be in charge of my own creativity and have my own personal growth .I have been working with Don Jazzy for a while and I wanted to give other people the opportunity to produce my music. It takes time. I left Don Jazzy in 2013 and we were already working on my second album, which was almost done. But at the end of the day with business, you disagree and agree. It just didn’t work out .That is why I had to start all over again .Songs like Rotate are no longer on the album. I had to start all over again creating new songs, getting a new producer that is why it took this long.
How was it for you transitioning from a known record label to becoming an independent artiste?
Nothing good comes easy; we have to keep working. A lot of people said my career has declined. All these things motivate me. I like good criticisms. I met Don Jazzy in 2006; they didn’t sign me until 2010. I have been working all that time, writing songs. It wasn’t too hard, but I just needed sometime to create my own sound. New producers are coming up and I decided to give them a chance. The song I did in Ghana with R2bees became a hit, but it wasn’t Don Jazzy that produced it. Don Jazzy doesn’t have a problem with that. People like Wizkid and Davido, I practically influenced them, telling them this is how to go about it. People must grow, table must turn, and people must change. I don’t want to be stereotyped with my sound. I don’t want people to feel that if I don’t have Don Jazzy, I cannot make it.Read more

No comments: